Let's face it- it's tough to eat healthy in Middle School, especially when you're surrounded by fries and chips. Vending machines seem to be the only thing around when you need that quick snack between classes, plus your friends always want to hit up the pizza place after school. However, we all know how child obesity is becoming a growing problem and do not want to be part of that statistic. But that doesn't mean you gotta eat carrot sticks while your friends are all snacking on Doritos! Let me show you some delicious and easy recipes that will get your friends begging you for a bite. Looks like the tables have turned!
1. Pizza roll ups
Instead of buying pizza at school, why not bring the real deal from home?
1. Whole wheat wrap
2. Large tomatoes
3. Sliced mozzarella cheese
1. Cut the tomatoes into slices.
2. Open up the wrap and place mozzarella and tomato slices inside.
3. Roll up and cut into 3 pieces.
4. Love tomato sauce? Just pick up some Marinara Sauce from your local supermarket and place in a small tubberware container, so you can dip your wrap inside!
5. Don't forget dessert! Try some grapes, strawberries or blueberries for a sweet treat that's the real deal- not a fruit flavored gummy bear! Talk about an upgrade!
2. Yogurt Parfait.
We've all seen Shrek and might remember Donkey saying "Who doesn't like Parfait?!" He sure is right! Start your day off sweet and healthy with a yogurt parfait.
1. One container of Plain Greek Yogurt (It's thicker than regular yogurt, plus has more protein!)
2. Granola, nuts, raisins, berries, seeds, quinoa, you decide!
1. Simply mix granola, nuts (Walnuts, Almonds, Hazelnuts, try them all to find out your favorite!) and raisins into the yogurt and stir.
2. Enjoy a dessert-like breakfast that'll keep you full all morning!
3. Wanna mix it up? Try strawberries, banana or blueberries inside! It's like Pinkberry for breakfast!
Need a warm breakfast to start your day? Oatmeal is the best choice for you! Filled with whole grains to keep you satisfied, oatmeal is a versatile breakfast that can be mixed with anything from peanut-butter to cinnamon!
1. One Packet of Instant Oatmeal
2. Hot Water
3. Toppings: Dried cranberries, almonds, raisins, cinnamon, peanut-butter: again the choice is yours!
1. Pour 1/2 cup of hot water (you can ask for some at a local coffee shop for free!) into your dried Instant Oatmeal. Stir for five minutes.
2. Top with anything you like- you can make a new oatmeal flavor anyway! I love it with berries, cinnamon and honey!
3. Don't have time? Pick up an Instant Oatmeal Cup from your local Supermarket. They're already flavored, all you have to do is add water!